Beyoncé Releases New ‘Freedom’ Video for International Day of the Girl 2017
October 11th was, as we’re sure you all know, the International Day of the Girl, and singer Beyoncé celebrated by releasing a video starring an international troupe of young girls lip syncing and dancing to her 2016 song “Freedom.”
The video, produced by Beyoncé and Salma Hayek’s Chime for Change initiative and The Global Goals, also delivers hard-hitting facts outlining the challenges girls around the world still face in relation to health, education and violence. Set alongside images of the girls featured in the video, are the facts that:
- A girl dies as a direct result of gender violence every five minutes around the world;
- One in four girls is married off as a child;
- 71% of all human trafficking victims are female;
- 63 million girls have undergone female genital mutilation;
- 130 million girls are out of school, and
- Girls are twice as likely to become infected with HIV than boys.
The empowering video garnered over 2 million views in 48 hours, and is one we hope will help the idea of #FreedomForGirls spread yet further.